Monday, January 23, 2012

Review - New Girl by Paige Harbison



New Girl
by Paige Harbison
Paperback, 304 pages
Expected publication: January 31st 2012
by HarlequinTeen

Received from NetGalley


They call me 'New Girl'...

Ever since I arrived at exclusive, prestigious Manderly Academy, that’s who I am. New girl. Unknown. But not unnoticed—because of her.

Becca Normandy—that’s the name on everyone’s lips. The girl whose picture I see everywhere. The girl I can’t compare to. I mean, her going missing is the only reason a spot opened up for me at the academy. And everyone stares at me like it’s my fault.

Except for Max Holloway—the boy whose name shouldn’t be spoken. At least, not by me. Everyone thinks of him as Becca’s boyfriend but she’s gone, and here I am, replacing her. I wish it were that easy. Sometimes, when I think of Max, I can imagine how Becca’s life was so much better than mine could ever be.

And maybe she’s still out there, waiting to take it back.

MY REVIEW:

I want to start off by saying that I really did enjoy this book. Although it did take a bit for me to get into it.

I had a hard time getting used to the way the characters were speaking, but I got used to it (I think this is what happens when you read book after book without a break).

Being new sucks, being new the last year of school is even worse but being the new girl that takes the room of a very loved and popular girl that has gone missing is hell!

The New girl comes into a private school her senior year. This is a school that she has been wanting to go to since she was younger. She has finally got in and leaves the sunny state of Florida to make new friends in the cold New Hampshire. Making new friends was harder than she thought when she found out that the room she is staying in is the room and the bed of the missing girl, Becca.

The New Girl has to go through accusations of trying to be Becca, taking her boyfriend and her life at Manderley. Her roommate sets her up for failure and is positive that this New Girl has come into this school and is set on being the new popular girl that Becca was.

There were so many times in this book that I wanted to just scream at some of the characters. I was a new girl in Junior High, I came in the middle of the school year. I know how hard it is to fit in and make friends. Make sure you pick the "right" crowd, it does suck! And looking back I would have acted the same way as the "new girl" just sit there and get through it. But there are times you just want to scream at people and just tell them to BACK OFF!

I loved the emotion I felt reading this story. I thought the characters were great and the story definitely kept me turning the pages. I had to see what was going to happen. I was a little disappointed with how the story actually ended, I felt like I wanted just a little bit more. All in all, this was a little like the Pretty Little Liars to me, which I loved. A guilty pleasure read and if there is another coming out, I would read it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...